"" THE ROAD NOT TAKEN: A ROSE by any other name ...

Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, 17 November 2009

A ROSE by any other name ...



A ROSE by any other name would smell as sweet,” a smitten Juliet tells her Romeo. Little does she knows that a rose by any other color, number or combination, has so many different meanings attached to it. Whatever the occasion, these flowers spread the love all year round, so it’s no surprise they’re everyone’s undisputed favorite.

Color
When it comes to saying “I love you,” red roses are the undisputed symbol of romantic affection and burning passion. White roses represent purity, innocence and respect, which make them a nice option for dads who want to give something to their daughters. Yellow roses are given between friends, or as a gesture of congratulations. They can also say “Welcome back” and “Remember me,” and can represent new beginnings. Careful with this color, though, as it can also represent jealousy!

Stuck in that “more than friends, less than lovers” stage? Give them yellow roses with red tips, which convey friendship and falling in love. Lilac or lavender roses speak of love at first sight. Orange ones symbolize desire, enthusiasm and fascination, saying “I’d like to get to know you better.” Peach and pink roses are for saying thank you. If you want to create mystery and remain as a secret admirer, blue roses are your best bet.

Number
Usually, a single rose already speaks volumes. A red rose can mean love at first sight or “I still love you,” while one in any other color says “Thank you.” But as they say, the more, the merrier.

Giving two roses means “The feeling is mutual.”Three means “I love you.” Seven stands for “I’m infatuated with you,” nine says “We’ll be together forever,” and 10 means “You are perfect.” Eleven says, “You’re my treasured one.”

The ever-popular one dozen means “Be mine.” Despite its unlucky connotation, 13 roses, especially yellow ones, is the best way to say “Best friends forever!”. Fifteen says “I’m really sorry,” 20 implores that “I’m sincere toward my feelings for you,” and 21 means “I’m dedicated to you.” Double that dozen and you’re saying “I’m yours forever.”

Still have cash to burn? Let’s raise the bar a little higher. Twenty-five means “Congratulations,” 50 shows your unconditional love, and 99 declares “I will love you all the days of my life.”

For some reason, a hundred and eight roses represent the ultimate question: “Will you marry me?” probably because it means that if you can afford that many, it reassures the recipient that you can provide financial support. Heh heh.

If filling her entire room still isn’t enough for you, giving 999 roses is the best way to say “I will love you forever, until the end of time.” Just make sure she and her entire family won’t drown in them in the process!

Presentation
So you’re on a reeeally tight budget. Hey, it’s not the end of the world— there are still ways to show the magnitude of your affection other than by sheer number. For one, you can combine different colors to give rise to new meanings.

Red and white roses stand for unity and are a great choice for the newly engaged. Red and yellow expresses joy and celebration, while white and yellow speaks of harmony. Since white can also mean secrecy, putting a single orange or red rose in a white bouquet represents a secret fling.

Two roses entwined is a simpler yet no less romantic way to say, “Marry me.” A thornless rose means “It’s love at first sight for me” (or it can just mean “I don’t want you to prick your finger and get tetanus infection on my behalf”). A rosebud in any color symbolizes youth and beauty, which makes it a top pick for eighteenth birthdays.

Finally, giving someone dead roses means “It’s over!” but let’s just pretend I never said that.

Dear Ain Norshal, I truly believe you will become one of the best TSAs in years to come.  Best of Luck!

No comments: